Castor oil has been used for many years in various parts of the world. The castor oil pack is designed to maximize the oil’s potential by combining the oil’s properties (owing to its ability to penetrate through layers of skin) and the relaxation effect from the compression. Benefits of a castor oil pack include reduced inflammation, improved circulation and lymphatic flow (this supports digestion, and removing waste products), and better smooth muscle function that helps you go to bathroom and deal with uncomfortable menstruation.
What you’ll need
- castor oil (from a health food store—organic, cold-pressed, hexane-free, and in glass)
- piece of cloth large enough to cover the area you want to treat (preferably unbleached
cotton or wool flannel, or a towel about 2 cm thick)
- piece of plastic large enough to cover the cloth with a bit extra
- thick towel
- hot-water bottle or heating pad
How to do it
- Fill the hot-water bottle (or set heating pad to low)
- Apply enough castor oil onto the cloth to saturate it, but so it’s not dripping.
- Place the cloth on the area you’re treating (eg. abdomen, liver).
- Place the plastic over the cloth.
- Place the hot-water bottle or heating pad on top of the plastic.
- Position a towel underneath the area of your body where you place the castor oil pack.
- Lie down and relax for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the hot-water bottle or heating pad, plastic and cloth.
- Wipe the castor oil off your skin with soap and water.
- Apply the pack at least 2 times a week or as directed.
- DO use a cloth and a towel that you don’t mind getting stained by the castor oil.
- DO store the saturated cloth in a covered container in the fridge for reuse up to 20
times. Next time you won’t need to apply much additional oil.
- DON’T use during pregnancy.
- DON’T fall asleep if using a heating pad, due to risk of burning.
- DON’T use on your abdomen during menstruation as it will increase blood flow.
Take your first step toward a Personalized Active Care Plan! Book a free consultation with me at firstname.lastname@example.org.